Cook For Our Clients
Want to warm the hearts and bellies of our hospice clients at Doug's House? Cooking a meal on a regular basis for those in hospice is a great way to get to know the people at the heart of our mission and help offset the food costs for our organization. The meals can be quick and easy.
Jane King is one of the volunteers who prepares a crock pot meal every Monday for our clients at Doug's House. Jane preps the meal at home on Sundays and brings the crock pot to Doug's House Monday morning to slow cook throughout the day. Click here to read more about Jane's cooking.
From simple home cooked meals to chef inspired creations, we are very thankful to all those who have donated their time and services. At the bottom of this page are some of the restaurants and chefs who have fed our hospice clients.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up?
- Email our volunteer coordinator Blythe Plunkett (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will have to undergo orientation and training sessions to understand our client's unique needs.
How often do I need to cook?
- The frequency depends on you. Our hospice clients need breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner on a daily basis. Please check with the volunteer coordinator to confirm the schedule.
How many clients do I cook for?
- The meals need to feed about 10 people, which includes clients, family members, volunteers and staff.
Are there dietary restrictions?
- No. However, we prefer that our clients enjoy nutritious meals to help them rest easy.
Can I use the kitchen at Doug's House?
- Yes. You are encouraged to cook at Doug's House to interact with the clients, their family, staff and volunteers. If you use the kitchen at Doug's House, you're required to complete a 90-minute online food handler class. Project Transitions will pay for the food handler class. You can also prepare the meals at home and bring fully cooked meals to Doug's House. You are NOT required to take the food handlers class if you prepare meals at your home. Another option is that you can prepare meals at your home and provide cooking instruction for our staff and volunteers to follow. We're flexible. We will work with you.